At our congregational meeting on June 4th our congregation passed all six recommendations brought forward by the NAT-Force. Together we resolved to call a full-time pastor to replace Pastor Rokke when he retires. That will require appointing an Advisory Call Committee (ACC) and the Nominating Committee will present a ballot to the congregational meeting to be held on Sunday July 16 after church.
While we wait for the ACC to form and lay the groundwork for calling our full-time pastor, the congregation has asked the NAT-Force to assist the Vestry in calling a vacancy pastor to visit our less mobile members. When the full-time pastor is in place, the vacancy pastor’s job will be complete.
To help the Vestry call this half-time vacancy pastor the NAT-Force will prepare a job description for the role, find a candidate or list of candidates for the Vestry to call from, interview from the list, and make a recommendation to the Vestry
The first step is already done—a job description for the vacancy pastor. Take a look.
Saint James Lutheran Church has authorized calling a half-time vacancy pastor to serve for up to 12 months to make monthly visits to our members who are not able to attend services regularly.
Vacancy—This call will terminate when the third full-time pastor is in place
Half-time—This vacancy pastor would serve about 35 of our at-home members under the direction of our lead pastor (half the total of 70)
- Loves the gospel of Jesus Christ
- Graduate of a Lutheran seminary
- Wholeheartedly committed to the Lutheran Confessions
- Enjoys visitation ministry to those who can’t make it to church regularly
- Is comfortable with end-of-life ministry
- Can drive day or night and make visits in the metropolitan area
- Attend staff meetings two to three times a month
- Although not required, would feel comfortable worshipping with our congregation
- Able to participate in a funeral service if the situation arises
- Aware of mandatory reporting requirements
- Aware of HIPAA confidentiality requirements
- Conduct a monthly visitation ministry to the Saint James family who cannot attend services regularly (estimated 35 visits—currently)
- Keep records of visits via Sharepoint
- Conduct monthly nursing home services (currently three locations)
- In visits: Conduct Scripture-based devotions, Administer Communion, Share news from our congregational life in this social setting
- Other duties as mutually agreed upon